PERU BOUND ONCE AGAIN – FOR THE 8TH TIME!
MY 10-YEAR-OLD SON IS GOING FOR THE 2ND TIME
Hello Family, Friends and Missionary Supporters,
I’m excited to announce that June 1-9, 2012, will be my eighth missions trip to Lima, Peru! I’ve been traveling there since 2005, and I’ve loved every minute of it—God has shown Himself in mighty ways on these trips. My last trip in June 2011 was very special because my son went with me for the very first time. He loved it; I don’t think I’ll be able to go back anytime soon without him!
We work mainly in the area of San Juan de Lurigancho, the largest district in Peru and home to the poorest of the poor, with many eating only one meal a day. Trust me; you haven’t seen poor conditions like these in America! Many live in what’s called squatter homes, which are actually huts made from bamboo, cardboard, tin, tire rubber—whatever the people can find—and most are without electricity or running water. About 49% of the people live below the poverty level, and of course unemployment is very high. The needs are vast, and we seek to meet as many needs as we can—naturally and spiritually—through hope, healing, love and the gospel of Jesus Christ.
WHAT DO WE ACTUALLY DO WHILE IN PERU? HERE ARE SOME EXAMPLES:
· Visit orphanages like the Hope House home for girls and Centro Shama, a boys home – last year we planted a garden, painted, leveled a volleyball court, and allowed the kids to go “shopping” for goodies like clothing and toys; of course, all prices were $0.00! Jonathan had mega fun at the home for boys! And he was brave enough to give a five-minute encouraging word from John 14 about trusting God to the girls.
· Visit Pat’s Place, a shelter for abused women and children – we pour on the love, gifts and hope by having most of our meals and meetings there, as well as several activities. Jonathan was incredible with the kids. There was a precious one-year-old reaching up his little arms for Jonathan practically every time he walked through the door!
· Visit the Villa La Paz Medical Clinic, free care, room and board for about 50 kids with serious conditions – we fellowship and play with the kids, and of course, hand out goodies.
· Speak at various church conferences throughout the Lima area, where we minister with skits, testimonies, prayer and of course, the word of God.
· Perform street drama – we literally find conducive areas on the street and perform several skits, eventually leading up to a main skit which points to Christ. Afterwards, an invitation for salvation is given, and you’d be surprised at how many come forward, right there on the streets! Local church representatives collect contact information for follow up and invite them to church. All kinds of amazing things happen at these street drama sites. Jonathan was able to show off his drama skills!
Would you like an opportunity to help sow a seed in God’s Kingdom? You can do that by helping us go once again. The cost to cover airfare, food, lodging, local transportation and materials for both of us is $3500. Great news: we've raised nearly 1/2 of this amount, praise God!!
Will you support us in raising the remainder? No amount is too small. If God places it on your heart to donate, please do not hesitate—obedience is a great thing. We need to have all monies in by May 4—just about three weeks away! However, we need significant deposits in now for group travel arrangements. God continues to use me in Peru. On the last two trips of 2010 and 2011, I was a guest speaker at a couple of churches along with other missionary speakers, and many people submitted their hearts to Christ. Your support will help to bless so many.
Your check or money order should be made payable to “Crosspoint Ministries” (www.crosspointmissions.org), and please mail it to me at the address below so that I may record and manage incoming support. You may use your donation as a valid IRS tax deduction. Thanks in advance for your prayerful consideration to support us. Contact me with any questions. If you like, I will be glad to send you a self-addressed stamped envelope! Just email me your address. We hope to hear from you very soon!
Charged to uplift, encourage & inspire,
3502 Peachtree Park Dr.
Atlanta, GA 30309